Welsh Rarebit


 

Around the World in 80,000 Morsels: Wales

Welsh Rarebit

Ingredients:
4 slices Sourdough
25g Butter
25g Plain Flour
120ml Beer*
1 tsp English Mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
140g Mature Cheddar
Salt and Pepper to taste

*Stout is recommended, but I drank my last Guinness the night before, so used a paler ale.
Make a roux with the flour and butter, leave it to cook a little, but not brown.

Add the beer and whisk until smooth. 
Add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
Grate the cheese and add it to the mixture, stirring until fully melted.

Meanwhile, toast the sourdough.
Spread the mixture evenly over the toasted sourdough.
Place under the grill and cook until nicely browned (a bit more than you think it should be).

Serve.

Conclusions: Quite a lot richer than I expected. My main complaint with Worcestershire Sauce is that when more than a dash is used a lot of the other flavours in the dish are drowned out. This dish was no exception. Even the mature Cheddar struggled, and the beer flavour was none existant, though I should have used a darker beer.

I couldn't finish the last piece, and what I did eat repeated on me for the rest if the day. Whilst not unpleasant, I don't see rarebit entering my regular diet.

This dish forms parts of my Around the World in 80,000 Morsels theme, which is running concurrently with my Around the World in 80,000 Pages challenge, currently trotting through Wales.









Comments

Popular Posts